Well if you know me, you know that I get amped up about projects and then get too busy to follow through with them. Like doing a blog. Or owning chickens :) Well now that we have several new additions to the family, I thought it would be good to start this up again as a means to track their growth and our experiment.
Before that, however, lets go with an update:
Last year's garden turned out ok. The tomatoes perished in their late seedling stage, I believe it was a result of their re-used (and not properly cleaned) transition pots. So that was a lesson learned. Use new or really clean, bleached pots. Got it. So we had to buy tomatoes. We successfully started a garden at our friends Rana and Hillary's house. They live just a few blocks from us and have a huge lot with lots of sun time. It stinks breaking new ground every year though!
- our corn was ravaged by squirrels (it didn't taste good anyway)
- the tomatoes were only so-so
- Peppers weren't very productive
- Melons didn't turn out very well
The great successes
- Lots of wonderful and colorful beans, 2 varieties. I still have bags full in the freezer!
- Good early peas
- Tons of soybeans
- Zuchini was amazing
- got a few good Butternut squashes
We were too busy to plant seeds this year, unfortunately, so we'll have to go with store-bought plants this year. Major bummer. We'll get back to seeds next year.